Relationship Consulting and Coaching
Who needs a relationship coach?
- I work with all hurting or strained relationships: parent-child, boss-employee, friend to friend and all relationships in between. That being said, those who most often seek out my services are those in intimate or romantic relationships: married, engaged, cohabitating couples. With my decades of experience teaching pre-marriage classes, I also coach those couples preparing for or considering marriage as well as those couples considering or already in the midst of divorce or separation. No marriage is too far gone to be repaired!
As a marriage coach and not a counselor, one question I'm asked frequently is, “What’s the difference?” These are the primary differences:
- A relationship coach has more of a forward and solution-focused perspective, while the average counselor focuses more on the past problems. Of course, in coaching sessions we always look at the past as it relates to the “presenting problem,” but we focus more on getting unstuck and going forward.
- As a coaching client, your time with me is not limited to an hour but is finished when you are finished discussing your concerns. I was always frustrated when I went to counselors and just as I was getting to the meat of the issue, my “time was up” and we were rushed out of the office and told to come back in another week. Why can’t I just stay and figure things out now rather than rehashing things all over again next time? So frustrating! The average session lasts between 90 minutes and two hours.
- Clients are able to reschedule their subsequent appointments when they feel they need a session — not in a week whether they need one or not. People aren't always helped by returning for a required scheduled follow-up visit when things are going well, as it requires them to open up a wound that has already begun healing. With a coach, clients call when they are in crisis or feel it’s time for their next session, and we can work a timelier session into both of our schedules.
How I work
- I charge a per-session fee and not an hourly rate. Clients are able to relax knowing they don’t have to rush to get their story out for fear of going overtime.
- I will come to you, or you can come to me. It’s important that clients be comfortable in their environment. (I do charge a fee for travel outside a 25-mile radius from my location.)
- I take cash, check or charge card; I cannot take insurance payments.
- I coach no one without having first conversed with them to ensure that we both feel it’s a good fit. Contact me via the button below to arrange a call, and I will respond to your outreach as soon as possible.